Silver is a beautiful metal, often overlooked for its more colorful peer, gold. Silver, however, can be just as, if not more, valuable than some gold items. The value depends on the quality, condition, and amount of silver. The key to valuing silver is identifying whether it is sterling silver. So how do you go about identifying sterling silver?

What is Sterling Silver?

Sterling silver is a classification of silver, defined by the quantity of silver in the item, but classification standards differ by country. In the United States, sterling silver refers to an object consisting of 92.5% silver. The remaining 7.5% of the alloy typically consists of a mix of metals, most often copper. Most items are not crafted of 100% silver, also known as fine silver, because fine silver is not a durable or strong metal. Fine silver items are not suitable for daily use or wear.

How to tell if You Have Sterling Silver

If you have silverware or pieces you believe to be sterling silver, but you aren't sure of the composition, there are some simple ways to find out quickly. Sterling silver should have a small marking engraved in it reading .925. This refers to the percentage of silver in the item. Silver items with lower-numbered markings or no markings at all are most likely silver plated or not silver. If your piece is antique and lacks the .925 engraving, it is still possible that it may be sterling silver. It was most likely created before the general acceptance of the use of the engravement. Your item may also have other markings on it that were previously used to signify sterling silver. If you are unsure of the markings, try researching the image or bring it to a professional for an inspection.

In a few cases, modern silver may not be marked with engravings. Check for a pattern or manufacturer name, which should be stamped on the back of the piece. A quick Google search into the company may yield the information you are seeking. If not, we once again recommend bringing your silver to a professional for a valuation.

Contact a Trusted Buyer of Silver

If you are searching for ways to sell your silver for cash, our specialists at GoldFellow have over 35 years of experience buying silver, gold, gems, and other fine metals. Our process is simple, quick, and secure. Visit our location in Weston Florida to valuate your silver in a secure setting.

Not available to stop at our location? At GoldFellow we also provide online services for selling your silver, gold, and gems. Mail-in your items using our free insured FedEx Express Saver service for a valuation of your items. We open your package under video camera surveillance for your protection and test and grade your items so you can be sure you are getting a fair price. We deliver payouts through company checks, PayPal, eChecks, or wire transfers. If you are not satisfied with our price for any reason, we will return your items to you at our own cost!

Contact us today to get cash for your silver.

Related Readings:

Measuring Silver’s Value: How is it Calculated?

Is Rose Gold Worth Anything?

selling your gold?

sign up for FREE, insured, NO OBLIGATION Pak!

?

Set your Gold View Password

*

We work hard to earn your trust

safe, secure & insured

We protect your jewelry & valuables. Every customer gets FREE FedEx safe & insured shipping.

Recommended

They make this process extremely clear and easy. And, most importantly, you can trust them. Roger P.
Los Angeles, CA

"A +" rating

We work hard to maintain our "A +" rating from the Better Business Bureau.